Like any handyman knows, the easiest project to do is the project you are most familiar with. This means working with your favorite tools, materials, and instructions that you know well.
The easiest fence to install yourself depends on your level of expertise and comfort with tools, as well as the type of fence you’re looking to install. For the average do-it-yourselfer, installing a wooden fence is the easiest option especially if you’re replacing an existing fence.
In this article, we’ll explore how to put up a wooden fence, as well as some of the other fence types available to you. You will then be well-informed to decide on what type will work best for your needs.Let’s get started.
1. Wooden Fences
A wooden fence is the most common type of fence and is typically used for residential, commercial, and agricultural purposes.
Wooden fences are usually made from either treated lumber, cedar or redwood.
They can be painted or stained to match the exterior of your home or business.
As mentioned, wooden fences are usually the easiest type to install yourself, as long as you’re comfortable working with tools.
Furthermore, if you are merely replacing an existing fence, you won’t have to dig any new holes, saving you lots of time and effort.
To install a wooden fence, you’ll need to take the following steps:
- Measure and mark where you want your posts to go.
- Dig the holes and set the posts in concrete.
- Once the posts are set, attach the fence panels.
- Finish by attaching the rails.
Wooden fences come with a lot of benefits:
- They’re sturdy and can last for years with proper care.
- They’re affordable and easy to find.
- You can purchase wood fence panels at most home improvement stores.
One downside of wooden fences is that they require more maintenance than other types of fences.
You’ll need to regularly stain or paint them to keep them looking their best.
Another downside is that they’re not as effective at deterring animals as some of the other types of fences on this list.
If you’re looking to keep animals out, you may want to consider a different type of fence.
RELATED: Is Redwood Good For Fence Posts?
2. Chain Link Fences
Chain link fences are constructed from galvanized, or PVC coated steel wire that is woven into a diamond pattern.
They are typically used in commercial and industrial properties, as well as tennis courts and swimming pools.
Chain link fences can be installed by anyone with basic hand tools, making them a good option for the do-it-yourselfer.
To install a chain link fence, you’ll need to do the following:
- Measure and mark where you want your posts to go
- Dig the holes and set the posts in concrete.
- Once the posts are set, stretch the fencing material between the posts and secure it with ties or clamps.
- Finally, install the top rail and any gates you need.
Chain link fences are extremely affordable and easy to find. They’re also very durable and require very little maintenance.
One downside of chain link fences is that they’re not very attractive.
If you’re looking for a fence that will improve the curb appeal of your property, you may want to consider a different type of fence.
3. Vinyl Fences
Vinyl fences are made from PVC plastic and come in a variety of styles, colors, and textures.
They are a popular choice for residential properties because they are low maintenance and easy to clean.
Vinyl fences can be installed much like your average wooden fence.
Vinyl fences have the following benefits:
- They’re low maintenance.
- Easy to clean.
- They come in a variety of styles.
One downside of vinyl fences is that they’re not as durable as some of the other types of fences on this list.
They can be damaged by wind, hail, or falling tree limbs.
If you live in an area with severe weather, you may want to consider a different type of fence.
4. Wrought Iron Fences
Wrought iron fences are made from thin, interlocking metal rods that are welded or bolted together.
They are a common choice for both commercial and residential properties because they’re extremely durable and offer a high level of security.
Wrought iron fences are also a good option for the do-it-yourselfer.
Wrought iron fences are extremely durable and offer a high level of security.
One downside of wrought iron fences is that they’re very expensive.
If you’re looking for a more affordable option, you may want to consider other type of fence.
Choosing the Best Fence for Your Property
Now that you know the basics of how to install different types of fences, you can start thinking about which type of fence is right for your property.
Consider the following factors:
- The purpose of the fence. Are you looking to keep animals in or out? Do you need extra security? Are you trying to improve the curb appeal of your home?
- The size of your property. A larger property will require a longer fence, which will be more expensive.
- The climate. If you live in an area with severe weather, you’ll need to choose a fence that can withstand high winds or heavy snowfall.
- Your budget. Different types of fences vary widely in price. Be sure to choose a fence that you can afford.
The best fence for your property will depend on your needs and preferences.
Be sure to do your research before making a final decision.
Installing a fence can be a big project. The easiest types of fences to install are wood or vinyl, while the most difficult is wrought iron.
Be sure to take into consideration the purpose of the fence, the size of your property, the climate, and your budget before making a final decision.